Quick comparison between:Nokta FORS Gold
Garrett Scorpion Gold Stinger
Use search box below to compare Nokta FORS Gold with something else
|Options||Nokta FORS Gold||Garrett Scorpion Gold Stinger|
|Battery Type||4 AA||Three 9V|
|Operating frequency||15 kHz.||15 kHz.|
|Tone ID||5 Tones|
|Ability to change coils||Yes||Yes|
|Ground balance||Auto, Manual, Tracking||Auto, Manual|
|Waterproof||Coil only||Coil only|
|Number of Reviews|| 1
|Avg. User Rating||1.00||3.84|
|Avg. Durability Rating||1.00||5.00|
|Avg. Ease of Use Rating||4.00||4.00|
|Avg. Depth Rating|
Most helpful review for Nokta FORS GoldNo gold
I have had this detector Fors Gold+ for a year now, I use it at least 3 days out of a month. So far no gold, plenty of bullets, shell casings, old cans and even horse shoes, but no gold. I've tried every setting, changing my sensitivity from a 10 up to an 80, the higher the sensitivity the more chatter.
The machine has 3 modes, BSt, FSt and gen. I've spent equal amount of time in each setting, still no gold. No I am not hunting in parks, I am in known gold bearing areas, when I get frustrated hunting with the detector, I switch to the drywasher and usually come home with something. Do yourself a favor buy a different machine.
Bob from Tucson, Az
Read all reviews for Nokta FORS Gold
Most helpful review for Garrett Scorpion Gold StingerTake Your Time!
I purchased the Stinger nearly 2 years ago as a first detector. Living in California, I dreamt of finding gold in them thar hills.
The Gold Stinger arrived and, per others' comments, read and re-read the manual before even turning the detector on. This helped a lot. Then, I practiced in the yard to get the feel of all metal and motion discrim. When I felt ready, I hit the hills.
After owning this detector for nearly two years, here are my thoughts:
* Deep in All Metal. Although I haven't found any gold nuggets yet, I have hit other items like a .45 bullet at about 14". I'm confident that if there was gold, I would have found it.
* Easy Motion Discriminate. Coin hunting in parks is easy to do in this setting. Although you have to manually pinpoint, that's very simple, especially after watching the video and practicing.
* Light! This detector is very light and well balanced. I can swing for hours without my arm tiring.
* Long battery life. On (3) 9 volt batteries, I average about 25 hours, with headphones.
* Rugged! I've dropped it, stepped on it, and even got sand in the control box, and this machine kept on going.
* Manual Ground Balance! This is an issue when searching in All Metal Mode in mineralized ground. In one area, I had to balance this machine every few steps. Finally got frustrated and switched to Motion Discriminate Mode.
* Motion Disriminate depth. If you want to hunt coins in the park, expect to get only about 6"-7" depth max. Even on quarters. DO NOT USE ALL METAL MODE IN PARKS! It will drive you nuts as it will never stop making noise.
* One tone ID. Because this machine has only one tone, expect to dig a lot of trash. When coin hunting, keep the Discrimination around 6-7 and depth at the arrow. This will help reduce bad targets. Also, listen to the beeps. Practice and get familiar with what it's telling you.
* Batteries. As stated above, this machine uses (3) 9 volt batteries. These are situated in the control box on the circuit board. To change the batteries, you must disassemble the housing. Kind of a pain! Would prefer AA batteries as they would probably be easier to replace and less expensive.
All together, I'm pleased with the machine as I'm familiar with what it can do and what its limitations are. I have found a ton of coins, jewelry, some relics and other cool items.
But, having to do it all over again, I would save my money for a better gold detector like the Whites MXT. I have tried it and feel it is better equipped to handle the mineralized ground and all around detecting.
If you buy the Garrett Scorpion Gold Stinger, just remember to practice, practice, practice. Expect to put in an easy 100 hours to get familiar with it.
I hope this info helps.
Robin from Pasadena, Ca. USA
Read all reviews for Garrett Scorpion Gold Stinger